Tuesday, December 6, 2016

On The Fly Mitts

Introducing my latest pattern!

This pattern evolved as car knitting at its best.  I packed some yarn, some needles, and a general idea of what I could make. I was ready for on the fly knitting.  I chose a skein of handspun fingering yarn that had little nubby bits making it unsuitable for socks. I had been wanting to do more mitts and mittens anyway, so pattern choice was made easy.   I thought the yarn would show better with a simple pattern that let the colors and textures show, but was also visually interesting.  Stripes are always a pattern option for me. I also had a ball of leftover sock yarn which contrasted well so, combining the two yarns, I was able to achieve both visual interest and a background for the handspun to play on.  

Pair shown also includes a solid color for the cuffs. 


The mitt has a long, gently tapered cuff that will warm up the chilliest afternoon.  A little bit of ribbing in the right spot ensures a snug fit across the inner wrist.  A little short row shaping keeps the thumb snug and fitted.

Directions are given for a left and right mitt. (Be sure to make one of each)

This pattern can be knit with either 2 or 3 colors which makes it perfect for stash-busting or using up leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For pattern support (questions, suggestions, etc.) contact me on Ravelry.com user name NanaKknits